AP source: Red Sox agree with LHP Martín Pérez on 1-yr deal
- California approves fans for MLB games
- Astros put 8 pitchers in COVID protocol
- Boone feeling well, set to rejoin Yanks
- P Dyson gets year domestic violence ban
- Ohtani Ks 5 in 1 2/3 in return to mound
By JIMMY GOLEN
BOSTON (AP) A person familiar with the deal says the Boston Red Sox have reached an agreement with left-hander Martin Perez on one-year contract.
The deal was confirmed to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because it could not be announced until Perez completed a physical. The contract would reportedly pay Perez $4.5 million this season, with a $6 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2022.
Perez went 3-5 with a 4.50 ERA in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, when he was the only starter in the Red Sox rotation to make all 12 of his scheduled starts. In a nine-year career, he is 56-61 with a 4.71 ERA.
Updated January 18, 2021