Peru held by 10-man Venezuela in Copa America
European Football Headlines
- Barcelona vs. Real Madrid likely to be moved to December
- After England stars face abuse, anti-racism push across EPL
- Lampard tells European soccer chiefs: keep current CL format
- Spanish soccer league tries again to stage game in Miami
- UEFA bans Ajax, Eintracht ticket sales for fan disorder
- Police arrest gang that robbed players houses in Spain
- Soccer star Rapinoe, boxer Shields win sportswomen of year
- Rio's Maracana to host 2020 Copa Libertadores final
- Manchester City-Crystal Palace Preview
- Watford-Tottenham Hotspur Preview
PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil (AP) Peru was held by 10-man Venezuela to a 0-0 draw in the teams' Copa America opener on Saturday.
Venezuela defender Luis del Pino received his second yellow card for a bad tackle in the 75th minute.
Peru had most of the scoring chances but couldn't capitalize on them before a small crowd at the Arena Gremio, although Jefferson Farfan had a second-half goal disallowed for offside.
"We are disappointed with the result because we deserved the victory," veteran Peru striker Paolo Guerrero said. "We had our chances but made too many mistakes in front of goal."
The result left the teams tied in second place in Group A, two points behind host Brazil, which opened with a 3-0 win over Bolivia on Friday in Sao Paulo.
On Tuesday, Peru faces Bolivia, while Venezuela plays Brazil.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated June 15, 2019