Germany, Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer out for rest of 2017
European Football Headlines
- Chelsea draws 3-3 against Roma, Juventus beats Sporting
- Man United beats Benfica after young goalkeeper's mistake
- Juventus labors to beat Sporting 2-1 in Champions League
- FIFA probe: Al-Khelaifi confirms his presence in Switzerland
- DC United bid farewell to RFK, and forgettable season
- Messi joins Ronaldo in exclusive 100-goal club in Europe
- Atletico in trouble after being held by Qarabag to 0-0 draw
- Hazard comes to Chelsea's rescue vs Roma but Conte unhappy
- Bayern beats Celtic 3-0 on Heynckes' Champions League return
- PSG beats Anderlecht 4-0 to keep lead in Group B
MUNICH (AP) Germany and Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer has been ruled out for the rest of the year due to another hairline fracture of the metatarsal in his left foot.
Bayern says the 31-year-old Neuer injured the foot again on Monday in training, and he underwent surgery to set the fracture with a plate on Tuesday.
Neuer was out from April to August with the same foot injury.
Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says, "We're incredibly sorry for him. The operation went perfectly, which is the most important thing for now."
The club expects the goalkeeper to return to action in January. Neuer will miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers against Northern Ireland and Azerbaijan in October.
Updated September 19, 2017