Germany, Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer out for rest of 2017
European Football Headlines
- Brazil beats Russia 3-0 in friendly ahead of World Cup
- Former England coach threatened female official with pole
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic joins the LA Galaxy
- UEFA Nations League gets $94 million prize fund for 55 teams
- Dutch police detain 25 England supporters for violence
- Usain Bolt delights fans by scoring in Dortmund training
- United States tops FIFA women's rankings, England No. 2
- Vancouver tries to extend home unbeaten streak vs. LA
- D.C. United, Crew cope with call-ups
- Red Bulls on edge with Minnesota visiting
MUNICH (AP) Germany and Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer has been ruled out for the rest of the year due to another hairline fracture of the metatarsal in his left foot.
Bayern says the 31-year-old Neuer injured the foot again on Monday in training, and he underwent surgery to set the fracture with a plate on Tuesday.
Neuer was out from April to August with the same foot injury.
Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says, "We're incredibly sorry for him. The operation went perfectly, which is the most important thing for now."
The club expects the goalkeeper to return to action in January. Neuer will miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers against Northern Ireland and Azerbaijan in October.
Updated September 19, 2017