Germany, Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer out for rest of 2017
European Football Headlines
- Melbourne Victory confirms negotiations with Japan's Honda
- Christian Ramirez scores twice, Minnesota beats LAFC 5-1
- Ozil quits Germany squad in spat over Turkey president photo
- Former Spain playmaker Iniesta makes debut in Japan
- Timbers tie Impact 2-2, increase MLS unbeaten streak to 13
- Serna pulls Rapids to a 2-2 tie against Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas, Houston play to 1-1 after scoring early goals
- Trapp's late blast lifts Crew past Orlando City, 3-2
- Jonathan Osorio breaks tie, Toronto FC beats Fire 2-1
- Red Bulls stay hot, beat Revolution 2-0
MUNICH (AP) Germany and Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer has been ruled out for the rest of the year due to another hairline fracture of the metatarsal in his left foot.
Bayern says the 31-year-old Neuer injured the foot again on Monday in training, and he underwent surgery to set the fracture with a plate on Tuesday.
Neuer was out from April to August with the same foot injury.
Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says, "We're incredibly sorry for him. The operation went perfectly, which is the most important thing for now."
The club expects the goalkeeper to return to action in January. Neuer will miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers against Northern Ireland and Azerbaijan in October.
Updated September 19, 2017