|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Montero scores on penalty kick, Whitecaps tie Red Bulls 2-2
European Football Headlines
- Porto beats rival Benfica 2-0 in early-season meeting
- Rodríguez returns but Real Madrid held in home opener
- Juventus opens Serie A with 1-0 throw-back win at Parma
- Messi to miss Barcelona's game at Real Betis
- Angers beats Metz 3-0 to climb to 4th in France
- German club Chemnitz criticizes its fans for racist abuse
- Liverpool outclasses Arsenal in 3-1 win, Salah scores 2
- Salah double helps Liverpool to 3rd straight win in EPL
- Lewandowski stars in Coutinho's Bundesliga debut for Bayern
- Former referee leaves after a few days as coach in Spain
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Fredy Montero tied it for Vancouver with a penalty kick in the 61st minute and the Whitecaps held on for a 2-2 draw with the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday night.
Referee Victor Rivas awarded the Whitecaps (3-6-5) the kick after using video review to determine Sean Nealis handled the ball inside the penalty area.
Vancouver took a 1-0 lead in the 29th minute when Scott Sutter finished a counterattack with a narrow-angle finish into the upper corner.
Brian White pulled the Red Bulls (5-5-3) level in the 37th minute with a header flick of Amro Tarek's header.
White's pass across the 6-yard box was redirected by Vancouver's Andy Rose into the Whitecaps own goal to give the Red Bulls a 2-1 lead in the 55th minute.
New York goalkeeper Luis Robles preserved the draw making a diving save on a breakaway attempt by Lucas Venuto in the final minute of stoppage time.
Updated May 22, 2019