|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Montero scores on penalty kick, Whitecaps tie Red Bulls 2-2
European Football Headlines
- Copa America: Rodriguez leads Colombia to win over Argentina
- Costly tickets, empty seats and quiet crowd for Brazil game
- United States face Chile with chance to advance in World Cup
- Canada advances with 2-0 victory over New Zealand
- Peru held by 10-man Venezuela in Copa America
- Cross-sports push at World Cup for gender pay equality
- Lloyd adjusts to new role, but doesn't accept it
- Neville's compassion for players shows new England culture
- Bayern begins German Cup defense at 4th tier Energie Cottbus
- Uruguay's Suarez in race against time after knee injury
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Fredy Montero tied it for Vancouver with a penalty kick in the 61st minute and the Whitecaps held on for a 2-2 draw with the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday night.
Referee Victor Rivas awarded the Whitecaps (3-6-5) the kick after using video review to determine Sean Nealis handled the ball inside the penalty area.
Vancouver took a 1-0 lead in the 29th minute when Scott Sutter finished a counterattack with a narrow-angle finish into the upper corner.
Brian White pulled the Red Bulls (5-5-3) level in the 37th minute with a header flick of Amro Tarek's header.
White's pass across the 6-yard box was redirected by Vancouver's Andy Rose into the Whitecaps own goal to give the Red Bulls a 2-1 lead in the 55th minute.
New York goalkeeper Luis Robles preserved the draw making a diving save on a breakaway attempt by Lucas Venuto in the final minute of stoppage time.
Updated May 22, 2019