Montero scores on penalty kick, Whitecaps tie Red Bulls 2-2
European Football Headlines
- Arsenal-Tottenham Hotspur Preview
- Southampton-Manchester United Preview
- Leicester City-Bournemouth Preview
- Chelsea-Sheffield United Preview
- West Ham United-Norwich City Preview
- Burnley-Liverpool Preview
- Crystal Palace-Aston Villa Preview
- Manchester City-Brighton & Hove Albion Preview
- Newcastle United-Watford Preview
- Manchester United-Aston Villa Preview
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Fredy Montero tied it for Vancouver with a penalty kick in the 61st minute and the Whitecaps held on for a 2-2 draw with the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday night.
Referee Victor Rivas awarded the Whitecaps (3-6-5) the kick after using video review to determine Sean Nealis handled the ball inside the penalty area.
Vancouver took a 1-0 lead in the 29th minute when Scott Sutter finished a counterattack with a narrow-angle finish into the upper corner.
Brian White pulled the Red Bulls (5-5-3) level in the 37th minute with a header flick of Amro Tarek's header.
White's pass across the 6-yard box was redirected by Vancouver's Andy Rose into the Whitecaps own goal to give the Red Bulls a 2-1 lead in the 55th minute.
New York goalkeeper Luis Robles preserved the draw making a diving save on a breakaway attempt by Lucas Venuto in the final minute of stoppage time.
Updated May 22, 2019