Georgia hires former UIC coach Steve McClain as assistant
- Ex-Florida St. C Ojo dies while training
- Tide G Petty to return for senior season
- Buffs' Wright IV to return next season
- Zags F Kispert returning for senior year
- Seton Hall's Mamukelashvili won't go pro
ATHENS, Ga. (AP) Former Illinois-Chicago basketball coach Steve McClain has reunited with Tom Crean at Georgia.
Crean, who has struggled in his first two seasons as the Bulldogs coach, on Tuesday announced the hiring of McClain as an assistant. He worked for Crean at Indiana from 2010-15 before taking over as UIC's head coach.
McClain was fired by the Flames in March after going 76-93 in five seasons, including a 42-48 record in the Horizon League. UIC has not been to the NCAA Tournament since 2004.
McClain also was a head coach for nine years at Wyoming and three seasons at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas.
More AP college basketball: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and https://twitter.com/AP-Top25
Updated April 22, 2020