Santa Clara beats Portland 76-62
- Maui Invitational moving to N. Carolina
- L'ville refutes recruiting allegations
- Accused racist Texas State coach resigns
- College hoops bubble remains possibility
- Former Georgia F Hogue dies at 69
LAS VEGAS (AP) DJ Mitchell scored 17 points on 6-of-10 shooting and No. 7 seed Santa Clara beat No. 10 seed Portland 76-62 in the opening round of the WCC Tournament on Thursday night.
The Broncos (20-12) advanced to face sixth-seeded Pepperdine in the second round on Friday.
Santa Clara led from the opening basket and went into halftime with a 42-23 lead. The Pilots (9-23) got the deficit to 72-60 but couldn't get closer.
Tahj Eaddy and Trey Wertz added 13 points each and Jaden Bediako scored 10 for the Broncos.
JoJo Walker had 15 points to lead the Pilots. Chase Adams scored 13, Malcolm Porter had 12 and Jacob Tryon 11.
For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP-Top25
Updated March 6, 2020