Mostella, Burnell help Jacksonville State win OVC opener
- Ex-Penn St. G: Coach made noose remark
- Top hoops prospect picks HBCU Howard
- UCLA AD Jarmond faces many challenges
- Third party to hear Kansas hoops case
- Sankey: Uniform federal NIL law needed
Jacksonville State (9-5) led for all but a minute in the early going and held off Belmont (9-3) which made it a one possession game eight times after halftime, the last when Kevin McClain sank three free throws to make the score 68-65 with under two minutes to play.
Mostella buried a 3 and then made two free throws, kicking off a 9-0 burst for the Gamecocks to seal the win. Jacksonville State finished with a 42-32 rebounding edge, 15 coming off the offensive end for 25 second-chance points.
The Bruins, who won nine of their first 10 games, now have dropped two in a row.
Dylan Windler led Belmont with 23 points with eight rebounds and McClain scored 21 with six assists.
Updated January 3, 2019